Of course, we couldn’t pass up the opportunity to share a delectable holiday dish that’s easy for TMD patients to eat! The holidays are full of festive parties, but all too often the hors devours are crunchy, sticky or chewy. Whipping up a special TMJ-friendly treat for the spread is a surefire way to make certain there’s something for everyone.
This Cranberry Brie Puff Pastry recipe is a savory and sweet way to indulge in the holiday season’s most popular fruit.
- 1 cup ripe cranberries
- 4 ounces brie cheese
- 2 10”x10” puff pastry sheets
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons of orange juice
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of kosher salt
- First create the cranberry spread by combining the cranberries, orange juice, honey, cinnamon, water and salt in a saucepan. Heat over medium temperature until simmering. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes or until the cranberries are softened and the mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lay out the pastry puff sheets (thawed) and gently flatten them with a rolling pin. Using a 1 ½” mini biscuit cutter, cut the pastry into circles. Each sheet should yield about 48 pieces. Divide the pieces so that half are used for the bottom and the other half for the top of the pastries.
- Beat the egg in a bowl then lightly brush each top pastry puff piece with the egg wash.
- Cut the brie into small cubes with the rind intact.
- Put a dollop of the cranberry spread and a piece of cheese on each of the bottom pastry pieces.
- Place the top pastry pieces with the egg side down over the spread and cheese fillings.
- Use a fork to gently crimp the edges of each pastry, and prick the top of each one so that air can escape.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper before placing the pastries. Brush the top of each pastry with egg.
- Place the baking sheet in the top third of the oven, and bake for 12-15 minutes.
Once the pastries are golden brown take them out of the oven to cool. These scrumptious cranberry brie bites can be served warm or at room temperature.