There are a lot of ways to incorporate healthy grapefruit into your daily diet. One of the easiest and most delicious options is to include it in a salad. The grapefruit will give greens a delightful zest and the taste is robust enough to mix with flavorful ingredients without getting lost.
This well-balanced grapefruit salad recipe comes from Martha Stewart herself. Despite how much nutrition is in the salad, it’s quick and easy to make.
- 2 eight-ounce skinless salmon fillets
- 2 cups sunflower shoots, watercress leaves or a combination of the two
- 1 Ruby Red grapefruit peeled, segmented and pith removed
- 1 ripe avocado pitted, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions trimmed and sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper to taste, and place it in a 9-inch baking dish.
- Drizzle a tablespoon of oil over the fish and sprinkle with half the scallions.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes until salmon is partially opaque in center.
- While the salmon is cooking prepare the grapefruit, avocado and greens.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking 2 tablespoons of oil with the lime juice and salt.
- Once the salmon is done cooking transfer the fish to a dish and let cool. After it’s had time to cool break the salmon into large pieces and divide among four serving dishes.
- Top the salmon with grapefruit, avocado, greens and the remaining scallions.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle dressing over each salad.
Add a little mozzarella cheese to incorporate dairy and a side of whole grains for a delicious meal that hits every food group.