It’s no surprise that July is National Hot Dog Month. Across the country, thousands of hot dogs are eaten at July 4th parties, summer barbecues and camping cookouts. Hot dogs are a summer staple, but for anyone with TMD, it’s a food that’s typically off limits since it requires opening wide to fit the food inside.
Well, this summer you can enjoy one of America’s favorite foods with this hot dog mac n’ cheese recipe. The split hot dogs can be eaten with a knife and fork to eliminate the jaw-jarring big bites that must be taken with a traditional hot dog. Next time you’re invited to a grill out bring these mac n’ cheese split frankfurters along to wow everyone with a fun, delicious way to enjoy hot dogs.
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 3/4 cup of evaporated milk
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 lbs. deli-style frankfurters
- Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water until tender.
- Drain and rinse the macaroni in hot water.
- Combine the milk, mustard, salt, pepper and 2 cups of the cheddar cheese in the top of a double boiler. Stir frequently and cook until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the macaroni to the mixture and blend well.
- Split the frankfurters in half lengthwise, without cutting all the way through.
- Top each split hot dog with the macaroni mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining cheddar on top and bake in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
Now everyone can enjoy delicious hot dogs at the next summer BBQ!